A security cordon was put in place at White Lund Industrial Estate in Morecambe after the discovery of a suspected unexploded shell.
The estate is the site of a former munitions factory that was operational during and shortly after World War One. National Filling Factory Morecambe filled thousands of bombs and howitzer shells with explosives. There were at least two major explosions at the factory, which resulted in ordnance and explosive materials being scattered across a wide area.
The inset image shows a layout of the factory, with yellow shading indicating buildings destroyed by an explosion in October 1917.
An Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team removed the shell and planned to carry out a controlled explosion nearby.